Established in 1974, the International Examiner (IE) is the oldest and largest nonprofit, pan-Asian American publication in the Pacific Northwest. Named after the historic and thriving multi-ethnic International District (ID) of Seattle, the IE aspires to be a credible catalyst for building an inspiring, connected, well-respected, and socially conscious Asian Pacific American (APA) community. Our mission is to promote critical thinking, dialogue and action by providing timely, accurate and culturally sensitive coverage of relevant APA matters. In addition to producing a free semi-monthly newspaper, we also publish a literary supplement, “Pacific Reader” devoted to the critical reviews of APA books.
Our goals are to:
- Be a reliable source of information for Asian Pacific American communities about important issues and events;
- Be a voice for distinct Asian Pacific American views and perspectives;
- Provide employment opportunities and experience for Asian Pacific American writers, photographers, artists, and advertising representatives;
- Promote a better understanding about and among our diverse Asian Pacific American communities;
- To serve as an educational resource about the Asian Pacific American communities in classrooms and lecture halls;
- To maintain the highest professional standards of journalistic excellence in news content and production.